The church was erected in the third century AD on the area where the Holy family settled and that was in the East of Sakha City. It Was almost destroyed in the sixteenth century, and it was reconstructed due to the decision of Muhammad ِAli the ruler of Egypt in 1846.

When the Holy Family moved over to AL Sabbakh which is Sakha city today there they were thirsty for lack of water, so The Lord Jesus put his foot over a rock and left a foot print from under which a pure source of water was created. Faithful people used to pour oil over this rock to take blessings from it. Eventually this rock was then hidden under the ground. During the 13 th century the rock disappeared in courtyard of the monastery and remained hidden till it was found in 20 th cent accompanied by a rocky crown.
 1  

All contents © copyright 2010-2013 Sowar Masraya. All rights reserved.