The Wikala was built in 1504 by Sultan Qunsuwah Al Ghuri as an accommodation and a market place for traders from all over the world. The building that has a rectangular shape consists of four stores with 28 rooms in each store. The traders used to come from every country in Africa and stay in this Wikala for weeks. They used to stay in one of the upper floors while their animals and goods were stored in the rooms of the ground floor. The Wikala of Al Ghuri is the best preserved example of this Islamic architecture.

The wikala has been restored numerous times, most recently in 2004. Currently, it houses artist's studios and small workshops for artisans such as bronze engravers, while the courtyard often serves as a venue for cultural events.
 1  

All contents © copyright 2010-2013 Sowar Masraya. All rights reserved.